Re: XyWrite orphaned

In-199710281340_MC2-2574-733A@xxxxxxxx>, on 10/28/97

  at 06, Eric Van Tassel <101233.342@xxxxxxxx> said:
>how this would work in detail, but what I have in mind is a consortium of
>newspapers and book publishers who would buy the software (and the

This is all interesting, but I wonder if the old Xy market is still there.
A few years ago, I'd walk into press rooms in Washington, and 3/4 of
the computers were running XyWrite. Now I see it rarely. Lots of Macs,
lots of Winword, some WordPerfect. Has anybody done a survey to see
how many major papers have dropped Xywrite?

Based on my limited technological know-how, I'd suggest that those of us
who continue to use Xy/Dos and refuse to think about switching will NEVER
be happy with any Windows or OS2 graphical product--XyWin, Smart Word,
Word pro, or any other.

But TTG is undoubtedly right in suggesting that we represent too small a
market to make ongoing development and maintenance economically practical.

It seems to me the only real solution is for you Xy enhancers to keep at it and
for the rest of us to keep using your stuff. Or we can look at NB, which
continues to evolve.

I've gotten so used to the bugs in Xy 4.014 I barely notice them.

           James D. Besser, Washington Correspondent
   Fax: 703.978.3675 * E-mail: jbesser@xxxxxxxx , jdbesser@xxxxxxxx
          PO Box 1292, Springfield, VA 22151