XCHG PROGRAM

Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe!!! The XCHG program works! Only a tiny chink that I've run
into. Where I have many entries I wish to change within a series of files,
XCHG does not work on the first occurrence of that entry. Even if the entry is
in the middle of the file.
 To explain if not clear: I have a code  which I wish to change (for this
experiment) to . If I have five lines of  codes, XCHG
starts the replace on the second occurrence of the  code. When XCHG
reaches a new file, it skips the first occurrence (no matter where its
location) and changes the second occurrence.
  Could I be doing something wrong? I have to answer each file with a Yes or
No prompt each time XCHG crosses a new file. Although this is still
time-consuming it also gives me the option odiscontinuing -- I think I like it
this way.
  Will keep working with the syntax to see if I'm inputting something
incorrect. I WAS using a DOS wildcard (specifically it read for file spec:
C:\XY\WB-*.*  .  I don't know if this had anything to do with running the
program. When I used the question mark wildcard, XCHG and/or DOS would only
address those files with the EXACT number of question marks; and even then, the
replace feature was erratic.
  Needless to say -- I'm telling you this because you're a programmer and not
because I'm complaining. With over 255 files to change and address in a
multi-optioned book, you have saved me hundreds of hours and mucho headaches.
I can most certainly live with having to address any one entry that gets missed
at the top of a file if I have to.
  You've got me terribly interested in XPL and I'm sending away for the
XyWrite guide to it. I've been wanting to get into programming (beyond batch
files, that is) for quite some time but didn't know which to choose since I'm
slow to interpret math-cryptophilic thinking.
  I thank you so much, Joe. Let me know if you want a copy of the dictionary,
and I'll send one along for your help. The dictionary is Taber's Cyclopedic
Medical Dictionary, 16th edition. A good teaching dictionary -- about 2400
pages -- with illustrations, tables, a giant appendices section with lab
values, abbrevs, med. emergencies, etc. Just give me a mailing address and
it's yours.
  Again -- pardon the effusiveness. Just a year of wishing I could globally
do what I thought XyWrite SHOULD (and IS) capable of doing.