Re: SG1986=1

Reply to note from Carlo Caballero  Tue, 6 Dec
2005 17:17:03 -0800

Carlo:

> Here's the question. At the bottom of some of my versions of
> SETTINGS.DFL are lines like SG1986=1 or SG1984=1, which I
> recognize as save-gets in the extended or permanent range. But
> what do/did they mean?

Permanent Save/Gets in the 1900-1999 range are used by the menus.
There's a listing of them, and what they do, in XY4.DLG. SEarch,
from the top of the file, for "1900-1999", then scroll down. You'll
see that S/Gs 1984 and 1986 control checkbox settings on two of the
menu screens.

The short answer is, there's no need to set these S/Gs. If you
don't set them, the menus will still work; the checkboxes and other
menu settings will simply revert to the default values built into
XY4.DLG. Furthermore, if you're not a menu user, you'd be well-
advised to delete (or ;comment out) S/Gs in the 1900-1999 range from
SETTINGS.DFL. These memory-resident values eat up Save/Get memory,
which is scarce, so you might as well jettison them.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx