Problems with XyShell (and more)

Lately, I have been suffering problems and, for the moment, I can't
figure out the cause. Anyhow, I'll comment them just in case someone
could give me wise advice.
First, the beautiful U2 CLIP frame has stopped working (it crashes the whole system under Win98SE). Apparently, the REXX module was working but now I discovered problems with other routines that use REXX. I am uninstalling and reinstalling IBM REXX and following Holmgren's guidelines very carefully but at: 11. Open an MS-DOS prompt, and situate in the ObjectREXX directory. Command: REXX.EXE MAKEBATS.REX
I receive the following output:
Error 3: failure during initialization
Eror 3.903: Program "C:\Program Files\ObjREXX\makebats.rex" cannot be run by this version of the REXX interpreter The README.WIN states: "If, under Win9x *only*, MAKEBATS.REX doesn't complete successfully, you can manually perform MAKEBATS' tasks". I followed the guidelines but I think the message "cannot be run by this version of the REXX interpreter" reappears again (the DOS screen output is visible only a very bried moment). The current downloadable Xywbrxrt.zip is 2.075 KB. An older version I have was 5.006 KB (and it has been working for years). What's wrong?
The only new factors in my system are:
- Hardware problems with a secondary IDE disk (in the past used only for
Linux).
- Installation of Extended Operating System Loader.
- Update from Netscape 7.02 to 7.1
Any suggestion?