Re: imaging software / multiple images

≪Acronis True Image?≫ May be. My next gig is in Zurich in calendar
week 38, so I'll have an opportunity to see what imaging system they
use and make a report on it to y'all, whether it might be useful on a
home or small system.
Patricia flatters me by suggesting that I have more vastly more
knowledge of Bimbows than I have. What I know, I have learned mostly
because I was forced to while troubleshooting things which went wrong
in heterogeneous networks (which of course requires poking around on
individual work stations, since switches and routers are usually not
the source of much trouble). I learned by trial and error, not
systematically. After many years of experience in networking, I have
come to the conlcusion that most of what appears to go wrong in Bimbows
networks is simply normal Bimbows behavior. Very seldom is there
anything to re-configure or change; rebooting cures 90% of Bimbows
networking problems (90% of those which are curable at all, I mean).
Compared to Unix networks, for example, Bimbows is really very messy on
the wire. And if it is messy on the wire, I *assume* (there's that
devilish word again) that it is messy on its own HD as well.
I suppose there must be something similar to a registry on the Mac OS
X. I have been advised by people who know vastly more than I about Macs
that before updating the Mac OS, one should run a disk utulity, called
"first aid / verify disk permissions". You can watch it do its little
dance, and it appears to be doing something similar to what reg cleanup
tools must be doing in Bimbows, in part, fixing broken or mis-directed
links to apps.