Re: P.S. to simple calendar question

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:06:49 -0400

> The command line... is:
> diaryyear 9/1/07-8/31/08

Nooooo!
 DIARYYEAR {year}
e.g.
 DIARYYEAR 1984
Why do people so often say things like "this doesn't run right
on my system" -- as if the problem must lie with the
programming, or maybe the hardware or environment, but never the
operator! Au contraire, it DOES run right! No no no, it's YOU,
my friend, for the usual (98%+) reason: User Error. In this
instance, wrong argument! Look at Carl's exceedingly pithy
frame (one instruction). You can see -- in  -- that it
generates a monthly "diary" (calls frame DIARYMONTH as a child
of DIARYYEAR) for each of twelve months in {argument}.
Therefore, {argument} must unquestionably be one calendar year.

Wouldn't everybody benefit if you at least *tried* to debug the
code, and thereby arrive at a pointful critique (or even *fix*
broken code, or conceivably discover an error in *your* ways
that renders comment unnecessary), than simply to push the "it
doesn't work right" button without (I suspect) much
trial/error/investigation and thereby shift the burden of
explanation and analysis to people who are plum tuckered out
with explanation and analysis that they're not even sure anybody
understands?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx