Re: redirecting LPT1 to a USB printer

--- Paul Breeze  wrote:

> Under newworks and connections I have a LAN set up
> but that is the ADSL
> USB modem again. And no, there is nothing that
> looks like a phone jack
> but slightly larger, or if there is I've never
> noticed.

That does sound odd. I think Patricia's point is
generally correct: for the last couple years or more,
it seems as though it would be extremely difficult (if
possible at all) to find a barebones motherboard that
does NOT have all kinds of embedded device chips --
video, sound, LAN etc. -- whether you wanted them or
not. I've periodically been looking for one --
preferably Asus or MSI, and that may be a factor --
without success, and I'm doing so again now, even
going so far as to look at 2 year old models that I'd
probably have to buy from someone on Ebay.

This is all a matter of where the market has gone, and
goes hand in glove with the lessening of the number of
expansion slots you get. I suppose most of the Win
users -- even the DIY types -- can't be bothered with
the old a la carte way of doing things. In my case,
I've always preferred to choose the exact components
that will go into my tower system, and I may need to
do that anyway because of device compatibility issues
for my preferred opsys. The Win users can just have
any damn thing in there, and there are certain to be
Win drivers for it. I can't count on that luxury.
So, in continuing on with the way I've always done it,
I will need to turn OFF the built-in Sound / Video /
LAN, and enable my chosen replacements -- always
assuming that the mb design allows for this, and that
there are still enough expansion slots for the
appropriate cards.

 Jordan