Re: Windows NT

Date sent:   	Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:53:59 -0500
Send reply to: 	xywrite@xxxxxxxx
From:      	Nathan Sivin
To:       	XyWrite List
Subject:    	Windows NT

> If there is not a reason to change, I will
> stick with Win95 OSR2, which has the advantages of Win98 without
> the bugs, hogs much less disk space than NT, and probably makes
> it easier to root out Internet Explorer, which I do not want.

Nathan,
Until about a month ago, I would have agreed with you about
Win98, but not now. I was having no end of instability with Win95
(OSR2 in the office and original at home). On the suggestion of a
colleague, I installed Win98, second edition, on my home machine
and immediately the software conflicts I had that produced lockups
were resolved. So I did the same at work. Though I hate to admit
it (indeed it causes me great pain), I now have the most stable
operating system I have had since I abandoned OS/2 some time
ago. Not quite as good as OS/2, but good enough to work whole
days at a time without failure. There are ways to remove Internet
Explorer; I suspect Windows 98 Annoyances will reveal how.
Cheers,
Bill

---
William H. TeBrake
Department of History       E-Mail: tebrake@xxxxxxxx
University of Maine        Telephone: Int+1-207-581-1923
Orono, ME 04469-5774 USA     Fax: Int+1-207-581-1817