Re: OT: update on ThinkPad electrical problem

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> Very interesting. If the machine weren't so
> hopelessly ancient
> I'd be tempted to try and find another power brick
> for the
> Compaq. But having already spent more than the
> laptop cost for a
> new battery that couldn't charge, I don't think I
> shall.

Although I'm not sure how much of a role the marginal
battery may play in this, I should have said
"primarily the transformer brick." That must be why
it would not work going straight in from the wall
socket, with battery removed. There are much cheaper
generic replacement parts like these that are sold on
Ebay and elsewhere online. However, I saw some
references in online forums warning / complaining
about such parts, and would want to read up more on
this before taking any chances with them.

 Jordan