Re Save (backup)

I've used both Roxio and Nero, and the latter on the whole has proved
more stable (but get the full version, not Express, which has a crummy
interface, IMHO). I should point out that I was using Roxio with an
ancient burner, so some of the problems may have been attributable to
hardware. I did have problems with Nero at first, but that turned out to
be a BIOS issue: by turning off a setting in Windows (forget which now)
that Nero suggested turning off, I somehow turned off autodetect IDE
devices in the BIOS.

IN-CD, however, is the packet-writing routine with Nero; Direct CD is
Roxio's. One oddity is that Roxio's version will only let you use CD-Rs
for Direct CD, whereas Nero's will only let you use CD-RWs. And both can
get flaky if you try to use the miniCD or business-card size ones.

Burners can be fussy about the brands of media they use, but one assumes
an IBM machine will include that information in its docs. Don't invest in
a lot of discs until you find out what brands are recommended.

XyWrite can certainly see a packet-written disc in the CD drive. Trying
to save/store a file there yields an "Access denied" message, though the
Windows (98SE) Property menu says the disk has full access. But the same
thing happens in Notepad, so it must be a Windows problem, not a
DOS/XyWrite one, and I will investigate as time allows. It occurs to me
that I might have "closed" this particular disc, and I cannot find the
backup one that I know I left open. (The FIRST thing I should do is
straighten out this mess of an office!)

For backup, look at the WSH routine Robert posted a while back. Works
beautifully and can be called by an autorun.inf file. I use it every week
at the office.

Patricia