Re: XPL shortcuts etc. [long]

** Reply to note from "..."  Tue, 7 Jan 1997

>> But a lot of people tinkered with this problem, and somebody
>> always poked a hole in every solution.

> Right. It works in my system scores, maybe hundreds of times a day,
> but what do *I* know.

>> I can see at least one blatant situation where your solution
>> bombs..., namely on an open but empty text window: cursor ends
>> up on CMline no matter where it was originally located.

> Uh, you gotta be kidding, or I gotta be missing something. Like the
> original location matters if the window's empty?

Of course it matters. We develop these modules to plug them in to larger
programs. What works for you on your own machine is irrelevant. We're
talking about theoretical problems, and about public programming, which
manipulates unknown systems that can be in any conceivable state when the
unknown user executes your program. We need reliable 100% routines. I
(for one) have windows with no content open at all times.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx