Re: No more XP lag with Tamedos

Robert--

Thank you for the explanation of TameDOS. The
unanswerable question is why Microsoft didn't add
something similar to its so-called "compatibility
mode."

An amusing sidelight: TameDOS made it impossible for
Wordpad to locate files that didn't have DOS-style
pathnames. Had to edit Folder Options to get it back.
Ah, the days of 8.3 filenames.....

> Are you using XP W/SP2?
>
> Michael Norman

I am not installing SP2. I don't want to spend days
patching Norton Internet Security, Sony Sonicstage,
BlackIce and all the other programs SP2 screws up.

Also, I learned today that SP2 only allows 10
half-open TCP connections, crippling file-sharing
software. It's not user-changeable at all (although
someone has written a hack for the system file). This
autocratic move by M$ is similar to the ISPs not
allowing .zip files--a blunderbuss approach.

I'd much rather install TameDOS than deal with SP2.
He's earned my $20.

              Jon Pareles