Re: xy windows

≪ One of xy's few inconveniences, for me, has been the
necessity, when copying and pasting chunks of text from
one xy window to another, to be in adjacent windows (i.e.,
you can paste into a new window only if you've just come
from the window you're bringing text from). [...] Any
default settings or easy work-arounds I ought to know about? ≫
--Mark_D_Garvey@xxxxxxxx

My initial reaction to that was Huh?!? Then I remembered:
When I started using xyW the weird properties of the CP and
MV functions dismayed me, and quickly--I mean within days--
I removed both from my.kb3. It's been so long I've forgotten
exactly what I found weird, but what you describe probably
was one thing since I never ever encounter that problem.

Try beginning and ending a text block with your func DF key
and RD the block. If you want to copy the block, immediately
tap your func UD key; meanwhile the block is on the "clipboard"
and you can UD it anywhere in the same file or in any window
without restriction. If you want to move it elsewhere in
that or any window, don't UD where you picked up the block.
DF/DF+RD/UD have none of func MV's and CP's limitations,
which I take to be unexamined artifacts of xyW2 with its
myriad limitations. (Intrigued by its compactness, I played
a little with the xyW2 Marv accidentally distributed. Whew.
I remembered all over again why when a friend gave me a
copy when it was the current release I stuck with the
word processor I'd been using.)

The Book offers a neat little algorithm that lets you use
the same key to begin and remove a block:
	{sx12,{va$df}}DF {if{pv12}>0}RD {ei}{ex}
As you can see, first hit, it begins a define (for any
purpose); second, it resolves the define and removes the
block. It's at the core of an 8k pgm I wrote (!xyWiz !B)
that manages every xyW block function I know of and adds
some new twists.

The Herb's pgm is a func RD rather than a DF substitute
(you still need a bare func DF key to complete a block for other
purposes), and makes removing blocks most convenient--especially
when the func UD key is paired with it. The two are on the keys
at the lower left corner of my compact (Datalux) kbd replacing
CapsLk and \|, which I've of course placed elsewhere since
I use them far less often. My first word processor had the
best thought-out kbd map I've ever used. It placed similar
functions in those positions (F9 and F10 then), and I've
never found a better place for them. ... Ciao. 		--a

	xyW3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's seafaring adventures: