Re: XYWin on Win 98

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Fri, 22 Nov 2002
17:42:26 -0800

>> Jordan: Where, oh where do you find keyboards (AT ones at least) with the
>> F keys on the left where they belong?

> Actually, it might have been Robert who turned me on to the Avant Stellar,
> successor to one of the best Northgate models.

The Avant Stellar *is* the Northgate 102 (they bought the molds), except that
these newer keyboards are much more programmable. I have 7 or 8 of them;
everybody insists upon them, so I have to provide. I admit, when you use
anything else, it's painful. They're *designed* for Win9x; the programming
utility fully works under Win9x only (although you can get around that
limitation, in several clever ways -- once you've programmed the keyboard under
9x or DOS, you can transport it to any OpSys, and it works as you designed it).

Granted, it's costly (USD 189). But... you spend X on a computer, and given
that all your interfacing is via the keyboard, you owe yourself a good one --
wander around a computer store, and all you see are atrocious junk keyboards.
It's a small fraction of the total expenditure.

http://www.cvtinc.com/kybdfeatures.htm

N.B. With *some* notebooks, you need to use a Y-connector (1M-2F) on your PS2
port, to get the computer to recognize the Avant Stellar.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx