Re: PIF files for XP

Fred Weiner wrote:
Going to the shortcut, right-click on the upper left corner's icon,
changing screen buffer and window sizes to 80 and 50. Then saving these
properties for future windows with the same title.
If you want a screen longer than 25 lines you must also change
the SL default in settings default. And in some tests I did a
while back, it appeared you must first set the pif properties
page (from, as you say, the titlebar; the right-click on the
desktop icon business is mostly a sham from W2K on), then close
Xy, reopen, call settings.dfl, change the setting, and reload.
I also found some evidence that what screen lengths exactly you
can get depend to some extent on the VGA BIOS. So you may have to
experiment, using different settings in the pif properties page
and in settings default, and seeing which come out right. I
recommend creating a simple file consisting of just
line 1
line 2
etc. (using the AutoCounter code for the number, so you can just copy and paste to create it), then call that after setting each SL value, to see which ones come nearest what you want.

The path to EDITOR.EXE is set as (on my system) c:\xy4\editor.exe /4000.
Unless VMWare needs it, you don't need that /4000. If EMS is
available (but on modern machines it often isn't), Xy will take it.
You may sense how I've flailed around, and failed: still have a window filling part of the screen with XyWrite compressed into its top half,
Well, one simple way of enlarging the size of a DVM window is to enlarge the font size. I Have to do this, being nearsighted, butsometimes do it just to get more space.
FWIW, I run Xy from a lnk, not a pif, even in XP, because then I
can have it display Xy's icon when it's minimized in the taskbar.
(In Vista, you cannot have any icon but that blank paper one for
a DOS app running from a pif--anyplace.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx