Re: XyWrite versions

Wendell Cochran wondered if Atex was the predecessor to XyWrite. Yes, it was
indeed. Atex still exists and, at least as of a couple years ago, used
XyWrite as its front end. One of the neat things about XyWrite was that
reporters could use it on their machines and send stories directly into the
typesetter. Whether or not the program was "ripped off" from Atex I can't
say, but during my time at Xyquest, relations with Atex seemed cordial
enough. Atex has since been bought by a British company, and Xyquest has
faded into The Technology Group.

I was a latecomer to XyWrite, starting with Xy III and eagerly upgrading to
III+. I bought the Alacarte menu system just to have a complete product, but
I never used it. I believe III+ was dated 1987 or 1988.

Cheers,
Tim Baehr
tbaehr@xxxxxxxx