From: Bill Troop [mailto:bill@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 1:50 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: compare help

I use XyWrite's inimitable compare function to check what my co-author has
written against what I have written.

Unfortunately, the files are no longer plain text. They are all formatted
with Pagemaker 6.5 tags. My co-author likes to strip these out and send me
email messages with the new 'text'. Is there some utility I can get --
perhaps comparerite? -- that will compare two text files, but which can be
instructed to ignore all material, for example, between <>? Or does anyone
have any suggestions? I HAVE to have some rational way of doing this! My
co-author is an impetuous maniac, and I have to be able to spot every
change (or mistake) he introduces, without wasting a lot of time on it.
What can I do?

I know, I know. It may be impossible. I may have to insist that he work
with the PM6 codes. When he is behaving, he uses WordPerfect in plain text
mode, and everything is OK. There are no XyWrite codes in these plain text
files. There: have I explained this hideous dilemma in adequate detail?