Re: Re Keystrokes: Possible BIOS compatibility

Reply to note from Caballero  Fri, 29
Jul 2005 23:06:05 -0600 (MDT)

> Because of a friend whose husband worked for Alta Vista, I
> latched onto that engine back in the mid-nineties and have used
> it as my default net-searcher ever since. Am I missing a whole
> world of wonders? I don't have much use for satellite photos,
> but I better run some comparative searches to see the real
> potatoes.

Alta Vista was my main engine for a long time. Several years ago,
though, I noticed that Google consistently returned useful sites
that AV either missed or buried deep down in its list of results, so
I switched. Then Google gobbled up DejaNews and added services of
its own, and it became possible to use the same query to search the
Web, Usenet, newspapers, images, etc., which is very convenient.
It's my first resort, and 99% of the time, all I need. I have no
idea how AV compares today.

By the way, U2 has an Alta Vista search command:
 YAV [search_term(s)]

For a list of all available canned (preset) searches, and
instructions on how to roll your own, issue:
 HELP YA?.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx