Re: Fw: new pc finally arrived and have to make decisions-help

--- Correo Fenda  wrote:

> Robert Holmgren wrote:
> I am using W2000K. Maybe XP
> includes some
> optimization for video and multimedia tasks. Using
> VirtualDub (or
> similar apps), I am unable to get audio/video sync
> and acceptable
> playback under W2000K, even after upgrading my
> processor (now a PIII
> Tualatin 1.4Ghz 512K 133 Mhz).

I've heard similar reports also, but haven't run into
such issues myself in W2K. (Heavy duty photo work
with PhotoShop, slideshow programs, etc. also
mentioned as being better under XP.) I do run a
number of video and DVD-related app.s -- in fact, this
is probably my main reason for bothering with Win at
all. (However, I have not gotten around to Virtual
Dub yet.) Additionally, XP is said to have better (or
at least easier and more up to date) device detection
/ support, problem diagnostics and recovery features,
including "Set Points" (or whatever they call it) for
the Registry. But we can accomplish much the same
thing with ERUNT, that free utility Robert recommended
a while back. It has already save the bacon for me a
couple times.

Bottom line is, I believe you can do almost everything
of interest in W2K that you could in XP. The
interface is a matter of personal taste. I happen to
prefer the one in W2K.

Jordan