Re: Xywrite History

Reply to note from Thomas J Hawley  Wed, 17 Oct
2001 09:48:41 -0400

> Ten years ago, on this date, the Wall Street Journal printed an
> op-ed piece on Xywrite by John Judis entitled "Innovation, a
> Casualty at IBM." Xywrite is probably the only word processor
> to be so featured in those pages. I've scanned the article,
> and it is attached in PDF.

Thank you very much for this article! I, for one, have never seen
it before. It's a fascinating piece of Xy lore.

Reading it, I did wish I had one of those pivoting monitors. Is it
possible to rescan it in landscape format or, better still, convert
it to plain text?

Again, many thanks.

P.S. Judis touched on similar themes (with a nod to XyWrite) in The
New Republic a couple of years ago:

http://www.tnr.com/archive/1099/100499/judis100499.html

(The opening paragraph resonates a bit differently today than when
the piece originally ran.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx