Re: Stack question

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Wed, 14 Jan 2004
13:09:49 -0500

Harry:

I've been thinking about your desire to put "GT,LD" on
CursorDown (key 80 and also maybe key 102). I think I'm
going to dump that "alternative code" and simply insist that
users map multiple-function keystrokes to an @-type (or $-
type) Save/Get. The "alternative code" is messy, there are
too many possible combinations (each of which needs a
customized alternative code), and people are understandably
reluctant to edit the original code, because of the general
delicacy and unfamiliarity. The whole "alternative code"
concept is entirely unnecessary, because the @|$ method is
very simple and works perfectly -- at least with Stack.

But I want to point out, and perhaps you are already aware,
that putting multiple functions on Cursor keys screws up
certain things unrelated to Stack. The MeNus, for example,
will only accept a simple CD or LD; if you try to use GT,LD
(even aliased under, say, the single function @D), the MeNus
won't work -- you not only can't Cursor Down, but if you
try, it kills the MeNu (and then of course cursors down in
*text*). The native func SD display won't work. DLG frames,
like PCLEX Spell, that ask you to CursorDown don't work.

You could certainly keep an unadorned CD or LD on key 102,
and put GT,LD on key 80 -- it's a workaround. But... caveat
emptor.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx