Re: Xy stuff

At 10:37 PM 1/7/97 EST, Robert Holmgren wrote:

>Alright already. I didn't answer because I figured you hadn't really
>_tried_ to dope it out. The solution is staring at you.

I did dope out the CU--but what I wanted to know (and which you answered)
is: what the hell is this? How come there's an undocumented XPL flow-control
command?! What does it do beyond establishing this loop? Etc. So what I
wanted is just what you gave:

>CU = CountUp
>Macro command: CU label,n
>        where "label" demarcates the end of a block of
>         executable code (the block begins with the CU command)
>        and alphanumeric "n" names a Save/Get
>         that contains a positive integer value
>         representing the number of times the code
>         block is executed

Thank you.

>As for:
> +">>">
>this is just a standard concatenation. The quotes allow string literals to
>be concatenated. If, for example, the content of IS01 were "254", S/G 03
>would contain the dumb string literal:
> >
>But when we subsequently Put S/G 03 with , we transform a dumb string
>literal into the living breathing thing -- in other words, S/G 04 comes
>into life and contains Error Message #254 (something about "Making a
>temporary file"). All that remains is to write the content of S/G 04 into
>the text window, with . Finis. Try it out for yourself.

Wow! I AM impressed. I will try it.

Regards,

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx