Robert -- Re: OT: End Note ?

 Robert:

 You are right. It is a database. Speaking of the last
 DOS version of NotaBene, version 4.5a: One enters the
 information in a standard form which contains all of the
 possible options for books, articles, chapters in books,
 occasional papers, etc. Once the data is entered, one
 selects an academic style (Chicago A or B, Turabian,
 American Psychological Association, etc.) for the output, and
 whether or not the output is for a footnote entry or a biblio-
 graphy.

 Searches are conducted on the entire database wherein
 everything in the database by a particular author or on
 a given subject will be extracted in alphabetical order
 (author's surname), or by date of publication, title, etc.
 The same citation can appear many times in a bibliography
 with a number of subject areas. If one is just searching
 for a single work to enter in a footnote, one selects the
 item when found by pressing ENTER, and the correctly
 formatted item jumps into the footnote.

 As another person notes, later versions can even search
 the net, although, to tell the truth, that is rather
 fancier than I had in mind when I described Ibidem.

 NB produced a separate manual for Ibidem. I'll try to
 produce a PDF files of the first few pages of the manual
 describing what Ibidem does, if you are interested. But
 that will have to wait till next week.

 Maben W. Poirier
-----

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Robert Holmgren wrote: > ** Reply to message from "M.W. Poirier" > on Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:07:57 -0400 > (EDT) > > > > If what you want in a citation programme and you are > > using XYWrite 4.018, then... > > What exactly does Ibidem do -- what's the special part? > Maintain a master bibliography? Superficially, it sounds (from > Maben's description) like an elementary database. Is there some > clever intelligence in these programs? Can they do op.cits and > loc.cits? Do they somehow "know" which page number in which > bibliographical entry you're citing? Do they store whole text > passages from cited books (don't really know why they would do > that!)? > > >From Maben's description, it seems to me that it would be almost > trivial to develop a dedicated Ibid handler in XyWrite. Perhaps > using FISHOUT's concepts as a starting point... ? > > ----------------------------- > Robert Holmgren > holmgren@xxxxxxxx > ----------------------------- >