Re: hard numbers for fn

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Pam Upton wrote:

> Years ago we wrote a macro to "disembed" XyWrite footnotes, since we
> edit note files as a unit and also send them to our typesetters that
> way. I have versions for both XyWrite 3+ and XyDOS 4/XyWindows. They do
> just what you describe below--i.e., convert FN1s to incrementally
> increasing superscript numbers and move the actual notes to another
> location. (It has always been a mystery to me that no major word
> processor gives one the ability to do this quickly and easily.)

Hmm, I'd forgotten that the Nota Bene "export footnotes" feature was not
actually a Xy routine, but part of the bibliographic features originally
blended with Xy and FYI 3000 (Textbase/Orbis) to make up the NB
package. But this is a routine function in NB, to separate out formatted
footnotes (and "import footnotes" to reintegrate them for continued
editing). I'd guess the "major" word processor producers just don't
cater to this type of need.

Lacking that, the suggestion to set note type to endnotes and print the
file to screen is the best way to get a formatted set of notes with
print modes still intact--except that it will also insert hard line
returns, margins, and page breaks to edit out again. You can of course
set up very long page lengths and line lengths (I think up to 255 for
both), hyphenation zero, and zero margins all around, to minimize the
cleanup.

	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."