Re: On button, & straight to the Command Line

"Yo Intl." wrote:

> At 11:57 AM 12/14/00 -0500, Leslie Bialler wrote:
> >The best way to run _any_ DOS version of XyWrite under Win 9x, NT, or (I
> >would suppose) ME is to go to My Computer, right click on the editor icon,
> >click on create shortcut, drag the icon to the desktop, and click on it: you
> >are in business.
>
> Can you repeat that for us non-experts? I do not see any "editor icon" in
> "My Computer".
> What do you mean?

My apologies!

I had assumed, incorrectly obviously, that you would have understood.
And I regret that wrong assumption. The editor icon will be found in the
"folder" (i.e., directory) in which you load your XyWrite. Xy perhaps?
Xy3? My programs/xy3? Whatever. So, to take it one step at a tiome (and
assuming your editor exe is in the folder c:\xy): click on my computer.
Click on the Drive C icon. Click on the xy folder. Click on view. Click
on arrange icons. Set this arrangement so that the icons are listed by
type. Then click again so that the icons show details. Find editor.exe,
now drag and drop the icon to your desktop, as explained in my prior
post. Whew! Thank goodness you only have to do this once. Let me know if
this works, please. And if it doesn't tell me what's going wrong and I
will try to duplicate the problem, fix it, and report back to you.

> >Trying any other approach (such as, but not limited to,
> >opening the program in a DOS Window or running the program in DOS only mode)
> >will create conditions that, as Alice observed when regarding bottles marked
> >poison, are likely to disagree with you sooner or later.
>
> I find that things work fine once I had found out how to make the DOS
> window read my own path statement. Are there other problems?

Yes. Mostly due to memory management and printing, especially in version
3. But essentially, the DOS window thing is a waste of time. If you can
have an icon on your desktop and simply click on it, why not do it?
However, running the program in exclusively DOS mode is extremely clunky
and prevents multitasking.

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press