Re: Windows 98 compatibility

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 jaffe@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'd appreciate any suggestions for running Xywrite 4 for Dos in Windows 98. It
> worked fine in Windows 3.1. When I try to install the program, I get a message
> saying, "a DOS critical error has occurred."

I installed Xy4Dos on my computer back in 1995, when I was just using DOS
and Windows 3.1. It worked fine that way. Then I installed OS/2, and it
worked fine under OS/2. Last month I installed Windows 98, and it's been
working fine that way, too.

I believe that XyWrite's install gets tempremental if the CD-ROM drive is
enabled. To make the install work, I'd edit autoexec.bat and/or
config.sys to REM out the CD-ROM drivers, then re-start Windows in DOS
mode. If that doesn't work, you may have to open up the box and
disconnect the CD-ROM drive. You can re-enable the CD-ROM after XyWrite
is installed.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                   lawyer@xxxxxxxx
 Boston, MA 02108-2503            http://world.std.com/~lawyer/