Re: Xywrite antiques -Reply

Rene writes:

≪ Worse, actually. Microshaft tries to be an *intelligent* Swiss Armee knife,
 i.e. one that tells you what you want to do and what not. ≫

Absolutely! But underlying cultural assumptions are inherent in any
technology. That was why the Chinese booted out all westerners in the Boxer
Rebellion.

If we accept Bill Gates' vision, we're slaves to his cultural assumptions.

As I see it, some future generation of writers' software will be designed by
writer/programmers, and may function somewhat as XyWrite does to serve the
actual process of writing. Photoshop or something like it will evolve in the
hands of photographer/programmers. Ultimately, it will be important to
consider elegant solutions that serve the users' primary needs (writing,
photography, layout and design ... etc.)

Software development in its infancy is limited by the relatively small number
of people who understand the technology. For now, the techno-weenies hold
sway and we will pay dearly for not knowing the programming codes. It won't
stay this way if they continue to abuse that power, or so I hope.

Jeff Seager