back on topic: incorrect directories in XP

Although I think the just nomenclature of braces is a most suitable wartime
discussion, I actually have an on-topic problem. I notice, running Xy4
windowed in XP, that often, when I execute the command DIR [some other
directory than the one into which I am logged] I will get a 0 files 0
chars. message from XyWrite. If I then CD into that directory and simply
execute DIR [with no qualifiers], I get the correct directory contents as I
would expect. I have just noticed this behavior over the past few months.
Any ideas as to what is going on?

"Now let's get back to real life. Who will marry Eugenie Grandet?"
- Balzac