From: flash
To: "xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: Windows 'phone home' behavior

On 5/11/15 8:24 PM, Jordan wrote:
> I need to get a list of those MS server addresses !  I've known
> about that Hosts file business for quite some time, but there is
> finally enough reason for me to pursue it.

path: c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\

file name: hosts (no suffix)

file content:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97    rhino.acme.com          # source server
#      38.25.63.10    x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#    127.0.0.1      localhost
#    ::1            localhost

#    known Microsoft servers (there may be others):

127.0.0.1 dns.msftncsi.com
127.0.0.1 next-services.apps.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 client.wns.windows.com
127.0.0.1 DB3WNS4011306.wns.windows.com
127.0.0.1 mscrl.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 www.msftncsi.com
127.0.0.1 ctldl.windowsupdate.com
127.0.0.1 www.windowssearch.com
127.0.0.1 sls.update.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 ctldl.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 ctldl.windowsupdate.com.edgesuite.net
127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

eof

Copy paste the above text (without "eof") into a file named "hosts"
and save it to the path above; alternatively, there may already be
such a file there, in which case you can copy-paste the relevant lines
into the existing file. Windows may refuse you admin rights to save
the file once you have modified it. In that case, save the file to
desktop; in  Windows Explorer delete the original file from the path
above; then drag-drop the new hosts file from desktop to the place
where the original "hosts" file was.

Hope this helps.