Re Dual Monitor setups (was Using XyWrite with XP OS)

I knew I had seen several articles about this in PC World, so I searched
its Website and turned up these:
Article (April 2002):
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,81963,00.asp

Article May 2005, which also mentions a USB gizmo that enables one to
avoid having to get a dual-head monitor:
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,120707,00.asp

And lastly a link to a software solution that lets you use another PCs
monitor over a network connection: http://www.maxivista.com/how.htm

As for the laptop port, sometimes (especially on older ones, like my
Compaq Armada), if you hook up an external monitor, the built-in screen
goes blank. IIRC, though, my ThinkPad displays both (I was using it to
test a monitor at a yard sale and was surprised to see both screens
active). But I don't think you can use them independently without 2K or XP.

A setup like that would certainly save paper: every time I have to
consult a help screen, I end up printing it so I can look at it while I
do whatever it is I'm trying to do. Esp. Word's help, which gobbles up
half your screen.

Patricia M. Godfrey