Re: Xy on a Thinkpad (A23, I think)

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Mon, 08 Jul 2002
19:46:47 -0800

> I have never been able to get Xy 4.018 to work properly on this
> laptop. (It belongs to a relative, and I only get a chance to wrestle
> with this problem during infrequent visits there.) Some of this comes
> down to display issues, or to possible Xy-under-W2K-on-a-laptop
> issues, which have been adequately discussed here in the past. But
> some of it also comes down to keyboard issues: enough of the scancodes
> are just different from what the .KBD file expects them to be on a
> desktop keyboard.

I have a T23, and run Xy4DOS under (among several OpSys on this machine) W2K. I
don't think there are "different" scancodes; I think there are extra or new
scancodes, mostly introduced by the "Fn" function key combinations, as well as
the "Start" key and the other "Windows" key whatever-its-called. I consider
laptop keyboards 100% unusable. I keep external keyboards at all locations
where I use this machine, and they work just fine with the T23, all scancodes
per expectation, zero changes to KBD file required.

I think Tweakui can turn off the Numlock -- or a Registry edit, I forget, but I
know I did it a long while back. Otherwise there's a small file at XyWWWeb
called NUMLKOFF.COM, which you could run via STARTUP.INT (DOS/NV/X/Z /C
d:\path\NUMLKOFF.COM)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx