Re: A MODEST PROPOSAL

Peter Evans:
>I'm so much in agreement with CD's opinion that I regret quoting even this
>much. The ability to snippet in reply has presumably been with us since
>the invention of writing. For centuries, people got along happily enough
>without large-scale logoregurgitation. I for one can get along without it

But they were also communicating at a much lower pace and with much
less volume. One mailing list I am on coughs up about 100 messages
every day; all from different people, all referring to different points
in different threads. I don't really think your great grandfather was
dealing with that sort of mail correspondence in his days! At the very
least, small, well-clipped quotes are helpful in pointing to which
part of which thread one is referring to.
I'd agree that pointless quoting of complete messages is inconsiderate.

-- Rene