Re: XY and on-line sessions

On 03/21/96 at 12:59 AM,
  "Alarik W. Skarstrom"  said:

>[...]
>appeared to be a conflict, whether this can be done on OS/2 or only on OS/2
>Warp? May I choose the former? (I do not have to employ any complex
>graphics or create elaborate layouts. Since I must buy a new machine, now,
>unexpectedly, I am trying to contrive the least expensive configuration
>that still works. I know, unwise but . . .) I was told IBM will no longer
>"support" OS/2 but when I get through to them, will ask.

OS/2 Warp IS OS/2. It is simply the name for the latest version, otherwise
known as 3.0. IBM supports it. The best support, though, as with all
software it seems, comes from other users via the internet. You know, like
this. Since you are in NYC, there shouldn't be a shortage of local mavens to
get you over the initial learning/installation/setup hump.

>However, were I to use OS/2 presumably, as a GUI, I could switch my
>internet-access account to slip or ipp (distinction not wholly clear to
>me--in terms of preference) and thus--God save the mark--see accents (my
>bibliographical work is rife with 'em). Additionally, would I be able to
>upload text files, written in 3+ or 4, edit them in some simple fashion
>within the context of a "browser" and then send them off?

It's ppp not ipp. ppp, for your purposes, is instrumentally the same as
slip. I.e., it accomplishes the same ends for you. But ppp is a better
designed protocol and you should use it.
The advantage you are looking for is there.
THe point is that you do all your editing on your machine and your machine
mails it. So pine, pico etc. become (thankfully) irrelevant. So you won't
upload and then edit. You will edit and then mail. A good mail program
(MR/2 ICE and PMMAIL are the two best in the OS/2 world) will each permit
"attachments", which for your purposes, are ways of shipping files with
accents or xy-markups in a way that insures their intact arrival. Your
recipient will need to be able to deattach, but such facility is becoming
common.

                     --David