The pesky hyphen and equal

James Besser noted (as did Nathan) that when you select text the hyphen and
equal signs sometimes don't update properly on the prompt/status line to show
that text selection is in effect. At first, I couldn't duplicate the problem,
but now I have -- and I have a solution.

The problem is in the file ENHANCE.SET, where I provide a replacement for the
DF function call. My replacement uses the DM function call along with the DF
so that anytime you press F3 you will extend the selected area to the current
cursor location. I find this very convenient. If you don't, just delete the
routine from your copy. (For you post-version-III folks, the D in a lot of the
function calls -- like DF, RD, DS, DW, DP, etc -- stands for "define." The
terminology was changed to the more-standard "select," but the function calls
-- coded deep in the bowels of the EDITOR executable -- remained the same.)

Solution: Near the end of the ^DF routine, just before the BX oo Q2, put in a
GT function call. Position the cursor before the BX, press F5, and type "pfun
gt" and press Enter. (Pfun works as well as Pfunc and saves 20% typing). Save
and reload the file ("load enhance.set"). If you get a sharing violation when
you save, save the file to a new name, load THAT file, copy the new file to
ENHANCE.SET, and load ENHANCE.SET. This isn't a XyWrite bug; it has something
to do with the operating system.

I don't know why the GT function call works, by the way. It seems that FF
(force fill, or force screen refresh) should work, but it doesn't.

Let me know if this cures your problem; if it works for you as well as it seems
to work for me, I'll upload a revised ENHANCE.SET to Nathan for posting
(unless, Nathan, you want to make the change yourself).

If you want a quicker solution, or don't want to change ENHANCE.SET, you can
hit Alt a couple of times to refresh the status line. But that means you have
to remember to do it; it's a kludge I don't recommend.

Tim Baehr
tbaehr@xxxxxxxx