Re: source code

John M. R. Bruner wrote:
Have been watching the XyWrite correspondence for some months. Yes, count me in for $50.00 payable to whom, when? Not a computer geek, but have used XyWrite since 1983. It served a significant segment of my professional career. Still use it!
Watching for future developments (including how to make recent HP
printer accept XyWrite).

jmrb
I too am willing to pay my share to try and wangle Xy
from whoever owns it (yes, who-, not whom-ever).
As for printing, there are two ways, both documented
here several times. If the new HP isn't PCL, you can
always use TYP, Ghostscript, and GSView. That will work
with ANY printer, even a WinPrinter (slow unless you
have a fast CPU and lots of RAM). If it is PCL, there
are two further questions:
1) Connection: if it's connected by a parallel port,
you just have to figure out which of the several Xy HP
drivers is closest to your model's implementation of
PCL. The later the printer (at least with inkjets), the
earlier the driver you should use, as HP has cut back
on the inkjets' PCL level: it used to be PCL 4 or 5 de
facto, though advertised as PCL 3; then then started
only supporting 3.
If it's connected to a USB port, you then have to consider
2)Opsys: Win2K and XP let you "map" a USB port to a (nonexistent) LPT port. If you're running 9x, you can only do that if the USB port is on another PC on the network. See long discussion of this back in May and June 06.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx