Drive Image--OT

Re backing up: I may have misinterpreted something Robert said a few weeks ago:

Another thing: if you think that, by thoroughly backing up your data to an
image or to another machine, you'll be able to reinstall a Windows operating
system on a replacement drive or another machine, think again. It won't work

What about using the drive image of the drive in my laptop (C:) to restore
itself? That is, if I make a drive image on an external (different) firewire drive, then totally re-format C:, boot from the factory CD, can I (somehow) copy the old image back onto C: and be ready to go? I think there are two issues here: 1) can I read the external firewire drive from what is on the factory CD functioning as a boot disk, 2) if so, will I be able to put everything back from the image to C: in a way that restores C: to the state it was in when I made the image? The external drive is physically different from the laptop drive.

Bottom line: is there any point at all in making a drive image on an
external, firewire drive, rather than just backing up data files onto it?

Thanks.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx