Re: Robert -- Re: OT: End Note ?

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"
 on Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:44:41 -0400

> And I have the manual for Ibid for Xy.

I do too. Probably looked at it once, 17 years ago, and shoved
it back on the shelf. From Flash's description of a program
with lots of bells and whistles, this sounds like a much more
sophisticated undertaking than I imagined. NBWin has a new
Archiva (I think it's called) add-on for US$100, which does web
research -- NB is obviously the way to go for this. Filling out
the Ibidem template and adding keywords strikes me as a lot of
work. Frankly, for basic citation, I don't see much
value-added. You keep a master bibliography, and just
cut-and-paste! You have to look up page numbers manually
anyway, and inserting an op.cit is not exactly difficult. The
rest is single-keystroke boilerplate.

Another problem with web research tools is that you need
authentication to access the good ones. All the quality
databases require an institutional affiliation -- no way that I
know of to get into Factiva, or Wilson, or LexNex except using
a university proxy server (anybody know of free, legit
access??). So if you're an academic -- spot on, you're in. But
if not, you might as well just Google it. For the sort of work I
do, mostly with old source material, Google is as good (or bad)
as any other tool.
--
Robert Holmgren
robert.holmgren@xxxxxxxx