Re: Protection violation boxes

I can't speak for any operating system but WFW3.11, but my experience
makes me doubtful that one can speak of files of 15K, etc., "causing"
protection violations. Error messages now and then have made it clear
that the problem is almost always a conflict with the memory manager.
I use QEMM 8, and find it too valuable to do without, but I also had
problems with the one that comes with DOS. What sets off the conflict
in a given case is not at all easy to specify. Since it happens from
time to time with every Windows program I use, I would hesitate to
speak of it as a bug. XW is more stable in this respect than
WordPerfect for Windows 6.1.

I minimize crashes by disabling some of the memory manager's more
arcane features, which make negligible difference in memory available.
My configuration, with a number of TSR's, is 634K. I don't keep my
PC-ROM and TCPIP drivers loaded, since when I load them it goes down
to 576K.

--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science