Re: Further to XY under XP: finding config.xy

Robert Holmgren wrote:
on the Shortcut's Program tab command line, NOT the
Working Dir line) you say:
 d:\path\editor.exe ,d:\path\startup.int
I don't wish to embarrass anybody by saying that this is
     ! INCREDIBLY FUNDAMENTAL !
No doubt it is. I can only say that I NEVER had to even consider it before, because I always logged on to the drive, and then CD'd to the directory, where both editor.exe and startup.int are. So that option simply slipped under the radar.
so instead we'll skip right along to your next point:
CD F:\XY4
F:

Without again asking why you CHDIR in this backward way, and
then launch apps with a 1982-vintage command like F:APPNAME,
allow me only to observe that you save two characters by saying
 F:
 CD \XY4
and I think we can all agree that succinctness has inherent
merit.
I don't know, except that I always did it that way. Maybe a relic
of the 2-floppy system, where one wanted to be sure the right
disk was in the drive before logging on?
But in ANY case, you do NOT put those commands in the
AUTOEXEC file!!!
Well, thanks, but how was I to know? I mean WHERE does M$ tell
people this stuff? We've been using 9x for 10 years now, and then
they change the procedures and parameters, and not a hint. Oh,
there are books, but they're mostly about how to do "cool stuff"
with graphics, video, and music (so-called).
 Cmd line: d:\xy4\editor.exe ,d:\xy4\startup.int
 Working: {empty!}
 Batch file: {empty!}
 Shortcut: {empty!}
Right, I'm sure that will work.
Just leave the bloody Working directory box empty, if it is a
source of confusion.
Well, since I can I will, because it bugs me, though I saw yesterday that I had put d:\xy4 in the Working Directory on the W2K box.
I don't understand the question. "commands that XP will read
from a file" means -- what? "sooner or later I'm going to be
setting different paths for different NTVDMs"? Hello? Earth to
Patricia -- come in, please.
What I mean is, is it possible, and if so how, to set paths and
change drives and dirs by writing batch or command or whatever
files that XP can read, preparatory to launching a DOS
application? With Xy we do an endrun, because once Xy can find
startup.int, it gets its own variables, so to speak. But other
apps want them set BEFORE the app launches. dBase for one has to
read a file (config.db) that sets screen colors, designates the
sql directory, and sets various other conditions. I've been
having problems getting it to run right under W2K, and I'm
thinking maybe XP won't let dbase execute those commands? Old HAL
again?
Thank you again. I'm sorry to seem so dense, but when one has
done something one way for nigh on 20 years, and then has to find
out how one is supposed to do it differently, with NO user manual
(I mean Windows of course; the Xy manuals are the best there
are), it can be a tad frustrating.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx