Re: Memory problems with XyDOS (4) under Win98?

Eric Van Tassel wrote:

> I'm about to acquire a PC with P-III chip and 64meg RAM, with Win98
> pre-installed. I'd like to be able to live with Win98, for the sake of
> simplicity and printer compatibility, as I have lived for 5 years plus with
> Win 3.x for the same reasons.

No prob! Welcome, oh noble escapee, from Win 3.x hell.

> But for serious editing work (on files up to 1meg or so in size) I still
> use XyDOS, and I'd like to go on doing so. I don't know yet if it's
> possible in Win98 (as it is in Win3.x) to abandon Windows altogether and
> run XyDOS from (as it were) within the underlying DOS; or will I have to
> open a DOS window within Win98?

No. Abandon nothing. Just copy your XyDos files over to your new rig.
You'll probably want to create a shortcut to your desktop. Then, each morning
when you boot up, you'll simply click on it and, as if by wizardry, XyWrite
will open and do what it usually does, only far faster, I would imagine.

> But here's my question. In DOS 3.x, with large files (including a lot of
> italics, redlining etc.) I was getting frequent crashes until I followed my
> then-guru's advice and installed a memory manager -- Qualitas's 386Max.
> I've lived happily ever after, until now. My guru is on the wrong side of
> the Atlantic, so you guys have to be my guroi (?): how should I run XyDOS
> to get the best out of my new PC?

You won't be needing to. Forget memory managers, frequent crashes, and all that
hideous Win 3x stuff. Welcome to fin de siecle, my man!

> Cheers
> Eric Van Tassel

lb136@xxxxxxxx
212-666-1000 x7109 (phone) 212-316-3100 (fax)