indexing query

I know there is much indexing wisdom out there, and hope to tap some of it.
 I am about to start indexing a 115,000-word anthology. Though I have
compiled several, I've never indexed one. I also have indexed several of
my previous books on Xywrite 2+ and various versions of 3. I am now
working in Xydos 4.017 running in Windoze 95. I also have Xydos 3.54.
There will be only one general index.

When page proofs arrive, I will not be able to get them in disk form. The
problem is that about half my text went to the publisher as tear-sheets and
the rest is in my computer in Xywrite. I want to index the latter via
standard Xywrite indexing procedure, and integrate into it the index
entries I will create on and from page proofs of the former.

I have set up a Xywrite file of the book (less front and back matter),
paginated to correspond to what I sent to the publisher, including blank
pages for the tear sheets scattered throughout. What I intend to do when
the page proofs arrive is to repaginate my index file to correspond to the
page proof numbers. Then I would create the Xywrite index for the text in
my computer. Next I would mark up the non- computer pages and, I assume,
compose the index entries for those pages in a separate file in my
computer.

I would richly appreciate any counsel you can give.

                Bruce L. Felknor
Then what? How to merge the index files? Have I created an unworkable
thing? Is there a simpler method? Would I be better off doing the whole
thing manually?