Re: more on MS networking

flash wrote:
If a station configured for a workgroup (i.e,. w98) finds itself in a workgroup not its own, then it seeks a router on the assumption that it will find its workgroup via the router.
Yes, but it was the Vista laptop, not any W98 box, that was
looking for a router.

> A Windows machine cannot belong to multiple
workgroups/domains simultaneously, nor can Windows save multiple profiles (as MAC OS X, for example, can) allowing you to simply switch preconfigured workgroups/domains with a mouse click.
Actually, Vista claims to do just that, at least on a laptop. Or possibly it's the added-on utils that Acer bundled with this system. I haven't actually tested it yet, so it may be just vaporware.
(I can't believe you don't have broadband either. With flat rate these days, it's cheaper than a modem link. Take the plunge!)
The problem is infrastructure, not $$. My phone lines are close
to 100 years old and cannot support DSL. I tried it once; the
connection kept being dropped, and I'm hanged if I'll pay for
something I cannot use. (Right now, I cannot even use dialup: my
phone lines went totally out yesterday--no dialtone--and though
I'm now getting calls coming in, I cannot hear what the other
party is saying, and there's so much interference the modem
cannot dial out. I'm checking my e-mail at the paper--with
permission--on my laptop.) And cable is prohibitively expensive
unless you also get cable TV. And I don't watch TV--period.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscameg@xxxxxxxx