Re: Dictionaries

In article <8AFC1F8.000102760A.uuout@xxxxxxxx>,
steve.board@xxxxxxxx (STEVE BOARD) wrote:
|  My experience with the American Heritage, used as a linked program,
| not a TSR, was that it worked fine until one had large files or several
| windows filled with files. I rigged up an XPL so that the cursor word
| became the lookup parameter passed to the dictionary. Is this the case
| with Random House? Have you tested it with, say, a 300 K file open?

I don't have many files that large so I tried it with XY4.DLG, which
is over 700 Kb in length. I noticed no difference in how the Random
House dictionary worked. The word where the cursor was located was
picked up as usual.

The dictionary is EMS aware, so if you have sufficient memory it will
just swap out what is currently in memory. Lookup is quite snappy
when you have things tuned properly. If you don't have sufficient
memory, the dictionary will swap to disk, which will slow down
lookups.

Under OS/2's virtual DOS session, I've given XyDos 1 meg EMS memory
and Random House 696 Kb of EMS memory and things work fine.

Dan Kanagy     Work: wordwise@xxxxxxxx    Play: dkanagy@xxxxxxxx
Tokyo, Japan                       dkanagy@xxxxxxxx