Re: NR (no ruler)

Pretty standard I think.
      for any two numbers, it+it=it+it
 doesn't say what I mean, so we have devices like:
for any two numbers, the first one plus the second one equals the second one plus the first one.
i.e., for all x and for all y, x+y=y+x.
It's pretty clear that the last two occurrences of 'x' and 'y' in the above are pronouns whose antecedents are the quantifier phrases. (When the antecedents are names, then we can just put the names in—so logic doesn't have much truck with *those* kind of variables.)