Re: Comprehensive HTML<==>XyWrite conversion made real easy

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Sat, 30 May 1998 19:02:24 EDT

> ... unfortunately, the XyWin and
> XyDos4 programs insist that the HTML filter is not present even after I follow
> the instructions below, recommending that I run the install program again.

> Is there something else that must be done to recognize the HTML filter, or any
> filter?

Paul, struggle with it! Come on! It would take me an hour to describe
this is fool-proof detail, and I just KNOW that you can get it by yourself.
It ABSOLUTELY works out of the box. Absolutely! Did you DL or FTP in
Binary mode? Did you locate W4W108F.EXE and W4W108T.EXE in the same
directory as your existing filters? Do you _have_ existing filters, and do
they work? Did you clone lines in both TEXTIN.FLT and TEXTOUT.FLT to
represent your new HTML filters? Set the switches there to /V0 (you don't
need them, but... set them anyway). If you call the menus via File ==>
Import ==> Text, and you look in the scrolling Formats list, do you find an
option for "HTML" (an option that _you_ created by writing that line, per the
"clone" step above! if you didn't write it, then you won't see it). Have
you tried using the filters as freestanding DOS utilities, per instructions
at:
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/#W4W
That works very well too; just issue (from DOS) two consecutive commands
(export a Xyfile to HTML):
 W4W17F.EXE XyWrite_source_filename /N /V2
 W4W108T.EXE target_HTML_filename /N /V0
or else flip it (to import):
 W4W108F.EXE source_HTML_filename /N /V0
 W4W17T.EXE XyWrite_target_filename /N /V2
Grab the latest XyWrite filters while you're at it, at:
ftp://ftp.iif.hu/pub/mirror_hosts/ftp.dante.de/pub/tex/fonts/postscript/adobe/Applications/adobefileutilities/dos/xywrdos.zip
They're probably not much changed from the old ones distributed with Xy4DOS; I
didn't look...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx