Re: F5--and everything went black...

Carl Distefano wrote:

I thought that there was a Properties screen for DOS programs that
allowed you to override these system keys so that the DOS program
can use them, but I can't find it. Maybe I'm thinking of OS/2.

In 9x, on the pif properties sheet, on the Misc. Tab, there's a list of Windows shortcut keys that you can check or uncheck. But F5 isn'tamong them; only Alt-Tab, Alt-Exc, Ctrl-Esc, and the like. A similar set appears in XP.

BUT: I'm in the process of setting up an XP box (Home temporarily;
long story) at the office, so I copied the setup from my W2K box. And
found something odd. If I try to launch Xy from a bat file (even
renamed it .cmd), it flashes briefly on the screen, and closes again.

If I navigate to editor.exe, right click, create shortcut, and all the
rest, it's fine. But how then can one set the path? I haven't installed Ghostscript and GSView there, as we have a real PostScript printer in the Network, so it's not vital. But if I were depending on them to print, how does one set the path if one cannot use a .bat or .cmd file?

And by the by, the screen is LOVELY: Lucida Console about 24 points;
sharp white text on blue screen; this on an MSI PCIe card and an Acer
Widecreen 19-inch LCD. And the cursor is far less jerky than on W2K.
You might also check your screen size and screen buffer size. Should
be 25 and 80 for both, at least to start. AND that graphic that I
mentioned on Vista exists in XP too. I didn't try full screen here,
since I never use it, but will tomorrow if I get a chance, just to see
what happens. This is the most nearly state-of-the-art box I've ever
dealt with: AMD Athlon 64 dual core, PCIe, DDR2, DVD/R drive, 2 SATA
hard drives.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx