FreeDOS keyb.exe

A further development that might interest those who are working within the VirtualPC environment as I am.

I wrote earlier: Still it would be nice to manage Windows XP or whatever, VirtualPC Windows, and DOS
box keys coherently. I use a customized US keyboard layout with additional European language support
(ö,ä and accents). There is MS and other commercial software to manage this in current
Windows environments, the problem is lacking corresponding software in Windows 3.1 and DOS. XyWrite
handles my layout beautifully, but other DOS programs are less accommodating.

I have found a working solution that seems to handle things beautifully. I have standard MS-DOS
installed on the virtual machine. By replacing MS keyb utility by the FreeDOS keyb.exe you can
customize your keyboard layout as you wish. I have found no complications to date. FreeDOS keyb.exe
can be customized by making a .KEY file and compiling it with the KC keyboard layout compiler.
That's all! The .KEY file is somewhat reminiscent of autohotkey AHK files. Very simple to use.

Files available at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/keyb/

It might be a bit confusing at first, so I am willing to help if someone is interested in this.
Great stuff!

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)