Re: Still need help with installing XyWrite on XP!

--- Jo Beverley  wrote:

> I'm not clear yet what people here can and can't do,
> but just last week he
> managed to set up XyWrite on my one-year-old Toshiba
> laptop.

Welcome to the List ! The level of knowledge re
hardware / software / Xy pretty much runs the gamut
here. But you should be able to get some help on a
variety of related topics. I've even fielded some
help in formatting | editing for a friend here.

> In effect, he set
> up DOS on my laptop in addition to all the up to
> date stuff. I traveled with it
> last week and it worked perfectly.

If you are talking about having a separate,
independent DOS boot (which requires DOS to own a
Primary partition C: ), I was always a proponent of
that, even though it can be a hassle if you haven't
set things up that way from Day 1. You will be
rebooting, and have limited access to the rest of the
HDD, but it will trump any of the issues people have
with running Xy under most versions of Win in common
use today.

> I also have XTree
> Pro there, which is how I
> manage my files. If this is no big deal then he
> should have checked around more
> before working on it. If it's of interest to anyone
> here I can pass on the
> details.

Still a great design in file managers, but out of date
in certain respects. For example, it will choke and
die if you try to log a well-filled-up CD. But there
is always the looks-the-same, works-the-same successor
program ZTree-Win, which is inexpensive Shareware. I
recommend it highly. (Also available in a version for
the OS/2 | eCS platform.)

Jordan