backup (was: coming back to xywrite)

Judith D:

>Maybe it's just for people like me, who once actually broke
>a hard drive and had to spend $600 and I can't remember how
>many days to get the data retrieved. That's when I started
>using c:,a:.

I suspect that we've all had hard drives crap out on us. But, uh, if you
have religiously backed up all your work onto diskettes, you should have
also put a lot of time and energy into labeling them precisely; otherwise
you're likely to wind up with what you'll want least when your main drive
dies: a large pile of diskettes that contain everything . . . um . . .
maybe . . . somewhere.

Tim Baehr's suggestion of Zip is much better. (Though I've given up with
Zip myself, and am now using one of several larger-capacity alternatives.)
Incidentally, my learned friend "..." [where she?] recently told me of a
very interesting new option, "Orb"
http://www.castlewoodsystems.com/castlewood_low/weblow/orb_infob.htm Back
up your work onto Orb, MO, GigaMO, Zip, Jaz, PD, DVD-ROM, CD-RW or the
obscurely-named medium of your choice via batch files--they're so simple
that any self-respecting Xy user can write them. (I even know some Word
users [snicker] who can and do write them.)
Peter Evans