Pixel doubling in older programs in Win 8.1

For those interested, it is clearer to me what happens with Win 8.1
and older programs on a high-res screen (3200x1800 on 15 inches). It
seems that there is straight pixel doubling. Whether there is
super-sampling (as occurs with the Macbook Retina Pro but, not yet,
with the Mac Pro and 4K monitors), I don't know. The attached
screenshot shows Eudora's rendering of Arial next to MSW's. Eudora is
not at all fuzzy (as many older programs are on a Macbook Retina) but
it does not have high resolution either. This seems to me an
acceptable and amazingly competently realized compromise. Microsoft
of course hasn't received a particle of credit for this.